Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL) (Theory Component)
- Class 1 medical
- NCEA Level 2 or has 3 years work experience or has a minimum score of 6 IELTS or equivalent
- 1500 hours minimum flight experience for full licence
- 2 weeks per subject including exams – 7 subjects in total
An Airline Transport Pilot’s Licence is the highest licence you can obtain. With this licence you can be the captain of a multi-crew aircraft,(provided you hold a type rating for that particular aircraft).
Because of the high experience requirement (1500 hours) graduates usually gain the additional hours for this licence as part of their normal duties as an instructor or a co-pilot for an airline. In the meantime students will be awarded a frozen ATPL when they complete the seven subjects.
The theory component can be completed at anytime, however the exam credits will expire after a certain time period if the practical flight test has not been completed. Talk to Ardmore Flying School about the best timing for sitting these exams.
Holding passes in these subjects will enhance your employment prospects.
Upcoming Theory Courses
Our courses use a successful combination of online content with in-class teaching to cater everyone’s needs. Running over 2 weeks per course, each subject rotates throughout the year to allow you to fit them in around your work or training or choose to do them all together in one block. Call 0800 Ardmore to speak to our Enrolments team to find out how you can complete your ATPLs in no time.
- Performance and Systems – 19th Aug – 30th Aug
- Instruments and Navigational Aids – 2nd Sept – 13th Sept
- Aircraft Law – 16th Sept – 27th Sept
- Meteorology – 30th Sept – 11th Oct
- Flight Navigation – 14th Oct – 25th Oct
- General Flight Planning – 28th Oct – 8th Nov
- Performance and Systems – 25th Nov – 6th Dec
- Human Factors – TBC